As mentioned in our previous post "Your business mission and vision statements form a critical part of your overall business strategy. The mission statement defines what you do and who you are doing it for. The vision statement describes what the world is like if you are accomplishing that mission daily."
The following writing activities are great for new businesses and can also be used as a refresher by anyone who has been in business for a while. Be patient with yourself if you are starting from scratch. Take your time and expect to spend 4 - 6 weeks on the entire process from brainstorm to statement creation.
It’s going to seem like a lot of writing to end up with two much smaller statements, but the process is very important. If you already have some idea of what type of business you want to start then begin this brainstorming activity at Question Set #1. If you have absolutely no idea what you want your business to be then you may want to start with Question Set #2.
And, don’t worry about language or grammar in this writing activity. Just record whatever thoughts that come to you.
Question Set #1
- Why are you starting this business? List every single reason without passing judgement on yourself.
- Describe, in as much detail as possible, what you want to create and why.
- Is what you create going to help you achieve your life goals? How? Need help setting your lifetime goals? Click here
Question Set #2
Now let’s narrow it down. Answer the following questions as specifically as possible.
- How do you want people in the world to perceive your business?
- What core values must you demonstrate in order to get people to feel the way you want them to about your business?
- What does the perfect world look like if you accomplish your mission?
- How would you describe what you are doing in 20 seconds?
Once you have taken as much time as you need to get all your thoughts down on paper then it is time to begin crafting your statements. It is recommended to start with the vision statement first then write your mission to describe the steps that you are taking to bring that vision into reality.
- Reflect your aspirations and dreams for the business
- Describes what the perfect world looks like if your business is meeting its goals
- Answers the question “where do I want this business to go?”
- Defines what your business does for customers
- Defines who the customers are
- Answers the question “what is the purpose of this business?”
Mission : Dedication to the highest quality of customer service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and company spirit.
Vision : To become the world’s most loved, most flown, and most profitable airline.
Mission : We help people feel their best.
Vision : Total body care at Massage Envy is an integral part of everyone’s well-being journey.
Elevate Massage Training
Mission : To educate professional bodyworkers about theories and techniques that will help them to enjoy their practice, extend their career and inspire growth.
Vision : All professional bodyworkers use their entire BEING (not just their hands and mind) to deliver results-oriented treatments without burning themselves out.