Fri, Jan 19|
Ashiatsu Barefoot Bar Basics
21CE Barefoot oil massage for the anterior/posterior body. Use one foot to release restrictions along the major muscle groups. Use the other foot and bars mounted on the ceiling above the table for balance.
When & Where
Jan 19, 2024, 9:00 AM CST – Jan 21, 2024, 5:00 PM CST
Memphis, TN, 6750 Poplar Ave #105, Memphis, TN 38138, USA
Details & Registration
21CE ASHIATSU IMMERSION TRAINING Level 1 - Supine and Prone Positions. Prerequisite : Licensed Massage Therapist Many things hands can do feet can do, too! This basic ashiatsu bar course will teach you how to stand on the table and use one foot to apply flowing, deep, lubricant-based massage while using the non-working foot and bars on the ceiling for support. You'll need a moderate level of core and upper body strength and some confidence in your ability to balance while standing and stepping on and off the table Learn protocols for treating sciatica, shin splints, back pain, limited shoulder ROM, tennis elbow and more. If you don't already have bars installed we recommend waiting until after you have signed up for your first bar class because there are so many variables that you may not think about until you have completed the course and received guidance from your instructor who will provide you with all the information you need for your unique construction project.
Because the foot is a broader tool than a thumb or elbow it can disburse pressure over a wider area. This means that more pressure can be applied to those tight, stubborn tissues without causing pain or discomfort. Release chronic holding patterns, restore functional movement, bring fresh, oxygenated blood to the surface, speed recovery from intense activity and FINALLY give clients the pressure the have been craving WITHOUT burning yourself out. Providing that they don't have any of the contraindications discussed in class, this work is great for clients who
- want to relax deeply
- enjoy a firm massage and want to experience deep tissue without the discomfort of pokey elbows and thumbs
- delight in knowing that their therapist is using gravity to work deep and, therefore, exerting less effort and energy to give more pressure
- are recovering from soft-tissue injury (and past the acute healing phase)
- seek health-care options for injury prevention and improvement in functional body movement
- need assistance in muscle recovery after strenuous activity
- experience pain due to chronic muscle tension
- desire a spacious and open feeling in their body
Instructor Charlene Gaffney has been a licensed massage therapist for 21+ years and has over 18 years of teaching experience in both entry-level and continuing education environments. She is a registered instructor with the Thai Healing Alliance International, a Certified Massage and Bodywork Educator with the AFMTE and the founder/curriculum specialist for Elevate Massage Training. She has studied Thai massage and ashiatsu extensively with many reputable teachers in the US and Thailand and has led annual Thailand Study Tours for LMTs since 2016.
Approved in TN, AL, GA, FL, IN, MO, and all states that accept the NCTMB credential (#451520-10)
We report to CE Broker #50-19440
Mississippi Approved Provider and Program MAP#92 Program#7
Pen and paper for taking notes
Soft, clean feet with smooth toenails
Rubber shoes/flip flops that can be cleaned with soap/water between session
Spray bottle with alcohol and a hand towel to clean/santize feet and shoes
6 hand towels
3 sets of sheets (fitted, flat, face rest cover)
3 King Size pillowcases (no pillows)
An extra bag for dirty linens
Waist Holster with oil or cream (no lotion please)
Wear pants cropped at the ankle or knee
Water and Snacks
The Bar Construction Questionnaire (see below) can also be found on your confirmation ticket attached as a PDF file to your registration confirmation email. This questionnaire is to be completed by all students who do not currently have bars installed to work on and brought to class, along with photos/videos of your massage space, so that your instructor can help you with your unique project. If you don't already have bars installed we recommend waiting until after you have taken your first bar class because there are so many variables that you may not think about until you have completed the class and received guidance from your instructor. We have found that it's better if students prepare all the information on the questionnaire, determine WHO is going to take on the project (if you aren't doing them yourself then ask whoever takes on the project to help you complete the questionnaire as a part of the project consultation) and set an installation date up for immediately after your training.
Bar Construction Questionnaire
Please take phots and video of the space where you plan to practice ashiatsu and bring them to class along with answers to the following questions :
- What type of ceiling do you have? Examples residential, drop ceiling, vaulted etc…
- What is the distance between the floor and the ceiling? You need at least 8-9 feet.
- The height(s) of the therapist(s).
- What supports are in your ceiling? Which direction do they go? What is the distance between them?
- Are there electrical cords, air vents, fluorescent lights, ceiling fans, fire sprinklers and/or other fixtures and attachments in the ceiling? Please describe.
- What are the dimensions of the room(s)?
- Are there windows in the room? Where?
- Is there a wall for the head of the table to be close to?
- How low does the table go. How high?
- Does your current landlord allow for modifications below and above the ceiling in your massage room?
- Does the building provide the contractor or can you use your own? Are they required to be licensed and insured?
- What type of anchors are available in your space, steel, wood or concrete?
- What is the access to the anchoring? Is it above the drop tile?
*Please do not come to class if you or someone you have been around recently is sick, running a fever or experiencing symptoms of illness.
We are located on the northeast corner of Kirby/Poplar on the first floor of the Forum 1 Building. *Sometimes the GPS will identify the city as Germantown 38138. Please park and enter through the north (front) entrance. There is a Kroger grocery store across the street and many restaurants in walking distance or a short drive to/from training facility.
For out of town students : The training facility is located in the main business district of East Memphis on the border of the city of Germantown. Any search for lodging in the 38138, 38120 and 38119 zip codes will put you within a short drive. The Hilton Garden Inn of Germantown is the closest and across the street. The airport is approx. 11 miles. Downtown is approx. 20 miles.
Register & Pay
Pay in Full$630.00
Deposit Only - 50% balance due
You will be sent an electronic invoice for the remaining balance of $315 that is due prior to the start of the first day of class.$315.00